I picked this little gem up on Craigslist for $15. Â I didn’t realize it had been gutted at the time but that ended up working out OK because I was just going to use it until I found a matching piece to the hutch I have in my kitchen. Â Mid-Century Broyhill pieces aren’t as easy to find in the price range i’m willing to pay:) Â Anyhoo, back to this piece. Â Because I didn’t know how long I would be staring at this stereo cabinet I was going to use for a tv cabinet (because the search for a Broyhill piece is going on 2+ years) Â I knew I would have to paint it.
I am currently am decorating with accent colors of teal/turquoise, pink and a pinch of lime! green. Â I searched a ton on Pinterest for inspiration an ended up deciding I would paint it primarily white with turquoise accents. Â Another thing I knew would drive me crazy was the top only opened on the left had side. Â I decided I would have to make the left side open too so. Â It just makes sense if I am going to use it for storage and I would be having stuff on top and didn’t want to have to rearrange it every time I had to access something I had stored in the inside.
I first had to pop off the left hand side top of the cabinet. Â The top was glued on so I used a flat head screwdriver and hammer to break the seal around the edge of the entire top. Â After that, I screwed these hinges that I had left over from another project.
I pulled off the speaker fronts and knobs and spray painted those in a color called: Lagoon from Rustoleum.
Â $3.87 (home depot)
I then painted the rest of the cabinet in Gloss white from Rustoleum.
Â $8.46 (Home Depot)
this whole project ended up costing a total of 27.33!